I don't know if I can put an exclamation point to that sentence yet as I am still a little wary to be here, completely out of the familiar, but maybe within the next few weeks as things start to not be so new and strange anymore. We made our move this last week to Spokane, WA. Ben is going to Gonzaga University here to get his MBA. I finished my masters in social work last month and am currently UNEMPLOYED. I am frantically looking for a job so that I can now be the breadwinner for our family. Thankfully things came together last minute and we were able to find renters for our house back in Utah. We got here late last wed and slept on the floor in our duplex as we were too tired to even open up the uhaul until the next day. It was rough trying to move in everything by ourselves. We are sure grateful for all the packing help we had in Utah! Thankfully one of our neighbors noticed that I was struggling to move the big furniture into the duplex and came over to help Ben out. We are a lil scared about the area we live in. We found it on craigslist and had someone from the ward over here check it out for us before we came. The duplex is nice, nearly new, but the surrounding area is referred to as the ghetto. I hear sirens outside every night, many times. But our neighbors are nice and have been very welcoming. We have been given tomatoes and cucumbers, and offers for more cucumbers. So we will stick it out for now, but if things get too crazy around here, we are on a month to month lease and we can find greener pastures :O I think Ben is more excited about being here than I am. We were looking forward to moving out to the northwest, but I wanted rain and the cool breeze. It is musty and warm here, a lot like utah but its muggy. They say its going to snow a ton on us as well. Yipee. I dont like the snow much. But I will admit I am excited for a change of pace. Our ward is nice and I am enjoying my runs through Gonzaga's beautiful campus(with Ben riding behind me on his longboard to protect me from any crazies). Ben is looking forward to starting school next week. We were at the store and I asked him if he needed any school supplies...he laughed at me like a child embarrassed by his mother. What? Don't graduate students need school supplies too? I even told him he could use my backpack. Anyhow, just wanted to update everyone. Sorry no pics this time. We have most things unpacked but we still haven't gotten the cameras out. I should be documenting this all I know, but I've just been too busy and too tired. Pics to come soon, until then, so long from Spokane :)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
We have arrived...
I don't know if I can put an exclamation point to that sentence yet as I am still a little wary to be here, completely out of the familiar, but maybe within the next few weeks as things start to not be so new and strange anymore. We made our move this last week to Spokane, WA. Ben is going to Gonzaga University here to get his MBA. I finished my masters in social work last month and am currently UNEMPLOYED. I am frantically looking for a job so that I can now be the breadwinner for our family. Thankfully things came together last minute and we were able to find renters for our house back in Utah. We got here late last wed and slept on the floor in our duplex as we were too tired to even open up the uhaul until the next day. It was rough trying to move in everything by ourselves. We are sure grateful for all the packing help we had in Utah! Thankfully one of our neighbors noticed that I was struggling to move the big furniture into the duplex and came over to help Ben out. We are a lil scared about the area we live in. We found it on craigslist and had someone from the ward over here check it out for us before we came. The duplex is nice, nearly new, but the surrounding area is referred to as the ghetto. I hear sirens outside every night, many times. But our neighbors are nice and have been very welcoming. We have been given tomatoes and cucumbers, and offers for more cucumbers. So we will stick it out for now, but if things get too crazy around here, we are on a month to month lease and we can find greener pastures :O I think Ben is more excited about being here than I am. We were looking forward to moving out to the northwest, but I wanted rain and the cool breeze. It is musty and warm here, a lot like utah but its muggy. They say its going to snow a ton on us as well. Yipee. I dont like the snow much. But I will admit I am excited for a change of pace. Our ward is nice and I am enjoying my runs through Gonzaga's beautiful campus(with Ben riding behind me on his longboard to protect me from any crazies). Ben is looking forward to starting school next week. We were at the store and I asked him if he needed any school supplies...he laughed at me like a child embarrassed by his mother. What? Don't graduate students need school supplies too? I even told him he could use my backpack. Anyhow, just wanted to update everyone. Sorry no pics this time. We have most things unpacked but we still haven't gotten the cameras out. I should be documenting this all I know, but I've just been too busy and too tired. Pics to come soon, until then, so long from Spokane :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Congrat on moving to Spokane. . Cory and I only live three hours down the road in Grangeville. We some time hit the spokane temple since we are three hrs from spokand and tri-cites. What an adventure!
I'm so excited to hear from you guys! Isaac saw your picture tonight on facebook (and remembered your name!) and wanted to call you. We'll try again tomorrow.
It's fun to read about how things are going with you-- I'm glad you're documenting it, even if you don't have pictures. I'm so excited for all the good experiences you're having together! Hopefully you'll be able to find some work, that will help you feel better I think.
I love your comments about the school supplies for Ben, it make me laugh. Maybe Ben can get a Spiderman backpack-- that's what Dallin wants I think. I'd better get on that.
;)
Love you!
It will all get better once you find your way around and get to know people. I felt a little home sick and lost when we first moved to North Carolina, but I just went out exploring everyday. Have fun and keep in touch!!
That's so exciting that you finally got to Spokane! I hope you are learning your way around and feeling more comfortable. :) That's so funny about the school supplies. Joe gave me the "Are you crazy?" expression when I asked if he needed any school supplies before law school... :)
Good luck with the move and such. We will miss you here. We should have gotten together before you left. I didn't know you were leaving so soon. I guess since school starts it is a no brainer. We will have to get together when you come back to visit.
Smart of you to do a month-to-month lease!
Glad you guys made it safe and sound. I'll admit.., we're a bit jealous of your new adventures to come the next few years. Can't wait to hear about them all.
oh.., and don't worry.., they'll be plenty of pickles for you in November.., and you can have them all!
Spokane huh. That's getting closer to what you grew up in right?! I just went to the coast for vacation this summer and almost didn't leave. I haven't been back to Tillamook in ages. I remember when we moved here to Tucson I was all freaked out about our neighborhood too. We had bars on our windows. Yikes. Now things are better but we moved from that area. Hopefully you will feel like home real soon
Kat, it looks beautiful! Glad that you made it safely. It's always exciting to move, but it is exhausting. I'm really bad at Geography and I shouldn't be so lazy and just look it up in the atlas, but am I to assume by the lack of cool breezes that it is NOT near the ocean? Whoa, just LOOKED at said atlas and it is NOT near the ocean! In fact, it might be closer to us than the ocean. See the embarrassment a little education can save you from? HEHEHE much luck and love to you and Ben!!
Good Luck in Spokane. I have never been there, but here it is pretty. Also good luck on finding a job. You are such a nice person I am sure it won't take long.
Post a Comment