Monday, January 17, 2011

New Toy

My parents bought us a sewing machine over the holidays. I am VERY excited to use it, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

My mom helped me make a skirt, but now that I'm on my own, I want to start with something a little more basic since I am a newbie to the sewing world. I have been wanting an apron, and I've seen some pretty cute ones for LOADS of money. But I'm hoping I can tackle sewing one myself.

That's all I have in mind for the time being. I think eventually I'll try sewing curtains and crib skirt for Norah's room. And maybe some other cute stuff for her. I came across some sewing blogs in the past but never payed much attention to them because I didn't have any desire to sew. Now that I have the machine, I want to learn. Are there any blogs/sites people may recommend or other sewing tips that might be useful to me? I am usually pretty good at following tutorials and stuff on the internet. So I am hoping to get the sewing machine out of the closet soon and actually START sewing. Wish me luck! :)

6 comments:

valerie said...

My only advice is that you only really need one skirt pattern. They are all pretty much the same. I love to sew!! Good luck!

Camille said...

http://www.makeit-loveit.com

absolute favorite. she does some amazing repurposing stuff.

Susan said...

cluckclucksew.blogspot.com

Christy said...

LUcky you! Sounds like fun~ I have no clue what I'm doing in teh sewing world either and I got my grandma's sewing machine when she passed a few months ago.

KaShan said...

My favorite is www.homemadebyjill.blogspot.com
There is also a million that I really like if you go to my blog you can randomly look through my favs...

Jen, Dave, Reagan and Matthew said...

Good Luck. I've never had the desire to sew but now that I have a little girl I would love to make things for her and for her room. I'm just not that crafty. :-)