Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fabulous Weekend

I have had the last two weeks off from school for "Fall Break". It has been so relaxing and its hard to get going again. Last weekend Ben and I made a trip to St George. It was really nice to get away for a few days. We took off Friday morning and as soon as we got there headed to the treatment facility where Ben has a client. He has to see him every month so we made this trip a vacation for us. I waited in the car and studied while he visited with his client. This was the only studying I did all weekend thankfully.
After Ben got his work taken care of we checked into our hotel and hit the exercise room for a bit. What can I say, we're health buffs ;) We then got ready to go to the St George temple to do some sealings. I had never been to the temple and hadn't done any sealings since we got married. The temple is beautiful and it was a wonderful experience. We got to explore a little bit of the temple which we thought was pretty neat.
Saturday we went rock climbing. Ben is very good and I am still a beginner. I do pretty well though for only having been a few times. Ben taught how to belay(which means to hold the rope while someone is climbing). He was pretty nervous about this since HE was the one I was belaying, but I am happy to report that I did great and we are both still alive! We didn't get any pics of us climbing because it was just the two of us but it was fun.

What a Hottie

Gearing up for the Climb

We actually climbed the same wall that Ben got his leg cut up on a couple of years ago. He said it was kind of freaking him out to be climbing there again but he did fine. I will include some pics of his leg later in this post.

I got a little owie of my own. Ben says the rock the I was standing on broke off from the wall when I was climbing. I actually didn't even notice I got scraped until I was down on the ground again. Battle scars :)

After our climbing we went to a popular spot among the cliffs in St George. Two years ago when Ben and I were engaged we went on a trip to St George with Ben's brother and his wife. Ben carved our names in the rock and we went back last weekend and found it. He did such a good job that it doesn't even looks like its really that faded.

We also went to what is called the narrows in St George. My sister says they call it the crack so I guess thats still up for debate. I am so claustrophobic. I think this happened to me when I was younger and my brothers would put me in the sleeping bag and not let me out. So I don't like the idea of the narrows because you slide through about 200 feet of rock with barely enough room to turn your head from side to side. Somehow I let Ben convince me that I should go through, and I made it! It was actually quite a rush because I really thought I would freak out half way through. It was a pretty tight fit so upon entering Ben decided he didn't want to attempt it. If you haven't seen him lately he is pretty buff and there was a chance his chest wouldn't quite make it through. You have to laugh though because as he was getting out of the narrows another family was getting ready to come in. One of the younger boys pointed out very loudly for everyone to hear, " he couldn't make it through". Ben felt a little disheartened but I assured him that he is a brave strong boy anyway.

The Beginning of the "narrows"

Top view of the Narrows after I finished

We went back to the hotel and took a dip in the outdoor pool, yes it was that warm outside, we loved it. Then we got ready for the main event. We got tickets to see the play Les Miserables at the Tuacahn Theater. I had been there once when I was younger but I forgot how beautiful it is with the cliffs of St. George as backdrop for the stage. Ben loves Les Miserables and I wasn't actually very familiar with it so on our drive up to St. George Ben told me the story and we listened to the Sound track. They did a great job and it was fun to be there. We obeyed the rules and didn't take a camera in but we got some pictures from the outside looking in.

This is taken from the left side of the stage


Sunday we packed up and headed back home but stopped at the Bush House for a Ben/Aaron Birthday dinner. Thanks again ma familia!

Here's Ben's Boo Boo from a few years ago. Sorry if it makes you a little queasy! He says he was on his way down the mountain and there was a sharp ledge sticking out that sliced into his leg.

This was taken right before he headed down the wall



The white you can see in there is his bone!
Don't worry though, his leg has healed like a champ and he is as good as new. Just has a super cool scar to show for it :)

4 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Thats crazy you have a pic of ben's leg. gross. But sounds like a fun vaca for you two.

Sarah said...

ouchy! except for the injuries it seems you two had a fun trip. If only BYU gave a fall break.

KellyAnne said...

WOw! This is the coolest post. SOunds like so much fun. I'm really glad you were able to do it all.GREAT memories! Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

ah... what a perfect weekend! I'm proud of you! that picture of the small crack in the mountain makes me feel claustrophobic! I also think it is cool that you are a little rock climber- You two are awesome- I only wish you lived here in Arizona, then we could hang out! Good luck with the last half of the semester!