
Ever had the dream where you can't remember your locker combination? I constantly had this dream growing up, but not only could I not remember the combination, sometimes I couldn't even remember where my locker was, and then once i found it, something else would go wrong, like forgetting my schedule, where to find my classroom, etc. Of course, these were just dreams. Well here I am again, but this time as an adult, watching it happen in real life. I have already been a hero to five students and it's only the second week of school. I'll see them with a look of panic, spinning the dial on the locker, and then they proceed to kick it when it doesn't open. They might try this a few times and then start to hopelessly walk away as the bell rings and the hallways empty. And thats where I come in, "do you need help?" They turn around with near tears in their eyes and mumble yes. So they tell me the combo and Ta Da, I open it :0 Gratefully they scramble to get what they need and mumble thanks and they are on their way. Fortunately I have mastered the art of opening locks, but I am wondering, why doesn't anybody bother to tell middle schoolers that you need to turn the dial past the middle digit once before you go onto the third digit? It would honestly cause a lot less stress for these kids, but until then, I don't mind being the hero. Besides it gives me a good chance to interact with some students without behavior problems :)


4 comments:
first- we love your fish.
second- i had that dream ALL THE TIME growing up. or dreams where i'd forget what classes i was suppose to take, and i'd spend every day in the office to get a new schedule printed. so embarassing. and now as an adult i have dreams that i didn't actually graduate high school. a few times it's been so real, i've had to find my diploma just to make sure. not kidding.
third- way to go, hero!
I'm not sure why that makes me laugh so hard. Poor kids, trying to be so grown up...
I'm so glad you're there to be their hero! :)
Aren't you glad you had that dream - you became the pro locker-opener to prevent it from ever coming true.
haha. I love that you are quite the little life savers to the hopeless students. :) I was reading the post when Evan looked over and looked at the fish. "What's that?" I told him he could feed them. He was thoroughly entertained. Thank you for entertaining him. :)
Post a Comment