That's the thing here...I just wasn't thinking! After playgroup today I decided to quickly stop by the post office since I was already out that way. Walking in I knew Norah was tired and ready for a nap and I also knew it was going to be difficult to try and put together one of the flat rate boxes that I needed and close it up with the items I planned on sending, while holding a baby.
So there I was waiting in line with Norah, and she was getting bored pretty quickly. I finally got my box and stepped to the side counter to package up my stuff. I set Norah on the counter and wrapped one arm around her while I tried to package up my box with my other hand. All the while everyone is staring at me but nobody is offering to help, which was fine, I just wish they would stop staring :0 So I get the box all ready and realize I neglected to bring the address I needed! Norah was getting pretty unmanageable at this point so while I was on the phone trying to get the address I handed Norah a chocolate dove egg wrapped in foil to keep her from squirming out of my arms. I just needed a few seconds and I thought this might buy me some time. What I didn't think about was the fact that my baby has FIVE teeth. I finish up my phone calls, with no luck and start putting my stuff away planning to just come back to send the package out later when I have the address. I had been holding Norah away from my body so I couldn't see her face, but I went to get the chocolate from her and lo and behold(DUH)...there is loads of chocolate dripping from every corner of her mouth and her fists are both up to her face smothering the chocolate everywhere. I panicked for a second then dug in her mouth to get the foil parts out. At this point all I could do was laugh,how dumb could I be! The worse part is that this post office was located in a grocery store so I had LOTS of people staring at me and saying things like, "looks like she needs a napkin", and, "wow, that looks good". Luckily as I made my dash out of the store I noticed a garbage can and a wipes dispenser. I tried to clean Norah up and with every wipe of her face she grunted in frustration at me bothering her while she was trying to devour the chocolate smeared all over her lips, face, and fingers.
I kept chuckling to myself the whole ride home as I replayed the scenario. At least the eggs weren't completely chocolate, she got a some coconut in her little body too :) Once we were home, I walked in the door and handed Norah to her daddy and asked him to guess by smelling her what she had been up to. He said she smelt like alcohol and then looked panicked for a second, so I told him the story and got a good laugh again. Oh this child is definitely her mama's daughter. We love our chocolate!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Got to love those moments right? When you just want to tell everyone to stop staring. At least it was yummy chocolate and she wasn't screaming at the top of her lungs or something else bad. Gettin' her started early on the chocolate. :) I love it.
Alcohol?! What made him think that? :)
Better than Lydia -- finding a cup of cold coffee in our hotel lobby - drank some and spilt the rest down the front of her before we could stop her :)
ha ha- motherhood definitely provides great stories!
Sorry. You both have my genes. Dad and I both got a chuckle out of this.
Post a Comment