Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How to Read a Book

She usually starts out with the best of intentions

Yet can't seem to get a handle on the book

So she sits on, steps on, or waves the book around in the air

...and then it goes straight to the mouth.  Notice how this book says delicious, nutritious on the back ;)

I love that she is so interested in books, I just wish she would spend more time reading and less time eating.  Any tips from the experts?  I keep all the board books within her reach to keep her entertained throughout the day, but they seem to be the most tasty to her and she loves to get her little teeth on them. Something about paper...mmmmm. 

4 comments:

Camille said...

buy hard backed books at the DI for cheap, clean them, and then enjoy the teeth mark and tears knowing it was only .50. :) when they're 3-4 you can start buying better ones.

LindaO said...

It's really about what you want and what's worth it for you. Meaning..., is her being entertained worth a few chewed up books? It may be for you. It is for lots of folks. For me .., not so much..., so I would constantly tell me kiddos, 'We don't bite books' or some thing like that and then open the book to show them how we 'look' at books. But than again..., I'm a bit of a crazy mom with some things.

Sarah said...

She will learn to love them. Lydia did that all the time and now she doesn't want to go to bed until she has read, "one more book..." again and again. Just keep doing what you are doing - read them to her every night, it will be a favorite time for both of you!

Christy said...

I keep forgetting your blog went private- ooops~ Not much you can do to stop them... and soon she'll start ripping them too. So I agree w/ your friend. Buy them super cheap and just keep the hard paged books around - they're harder to tear =)